Thursday 4 July 2013

Thursday's Random Thought (Multi-tasking)

Has multi-tasking always been a part of our lives?  It seems to me that the more “conveniences” we have the more we try to accomplish all at one time.  I can remember my mother having certain days to complete certain tasks.  Laundry was done on Thursdays … no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  There was no “throwing a pair of jeans in the washer” because you wanted to wear them the next day, mostly because we had a wringer washer and a clothesline instead of a dryer.  (Boy I am dating myself here)  Groceries were done on Fridays and baking was done on Saturdays … I’m sure you get the picture.  And, my mother was a working mom.

I know that my lunch hours at work are often not so much about getting a real lunch as they are about getting a few errands done … a trip to library to pick up a book, or running into the bank.  I have often resorted to eating lunch in the car on the way back to the office.  Not only is this a dangerous driving habit, but as it turns out, it is a dangerous eating habit too.

A recent study at Cornell University suggest that women who stop puttering and truly focus on what they’re eating – even if they down their meal in only five minutes – cut their calorie intake by 22%.  



Concentrating on the taste and texture of food helps your brain’s satiety center closely monitor how full you are getting, so it send “STOP EATING” signals sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment