Friday 5 July 2013

Food Friday (Honeydew Smoothie)

Cool refreshing drinks and staying on a healthy eating plan do not always go hand in hand.  But I believe that one should not deny oneself the simple pleasures.  When I came across this recipe in Woman’s World (I think I owe them a nod since I bashed their covers so badly in a previous post) I knew I had to try it.

Honeydew melons are available throughout the whole year, but we all know that sometimes when you buy them “off season” they can be just a piece of green, fleshy fruit without a lot of flavour.  Honeydew can be the sweetest of all the melons and honeydew is at its peak in July (as are most melons).

Honeydew (and most melons) is a good source of vitamins, a delicious treat and great for calorie counting because they are naturally sweet and have very high water content.  I generally like the satisfaction and gratification of chewing my calories, but I also like a smooth, creamy treat every once in a while.  This Honeydew smoothie recipe seems to hit the mark on all counts.

Honeydew Smoothie

2 cups of melon, rind and seeds removed
1 mint leaf, torn
½ cup vanilla yogurt
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup ice

Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until frothy.


A handy honeydew tip:
To pick the sweetest specimen, look for a golden rind with freckles – that’s a sign of the sugar coming through.

No comments:

Post a Comment