Friday 26 July 2013

Food Friday (Brown Bag It)

According to the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietics lunch is the meal most likely to make or break healthy-eating habits.  Women who took the time to bring a wholesome lunch to work lost an average of five pounds more in a year than women who ate out (even just once) during the workweek.

Bottom line: Plan ahead!  Pack a lunch!  Ditch the pounds!

I admit that my lunching habits are not the best.  Since moving locations I do not physically leave the office for lunch and (thankfully) take out options are limited.  I have a kitchenette here and keep it fairly well stocked with healthy food choices.  But – oh boy – sometimes it is soooo boring!

I came across this at www.chatelaine.com/healthyonthego and it made my mouth water.  Salads are one of the things that I never bring from home.  I don’t like the mess and bother of bringing dressing and if I dress the salad beforehand it is nothing but a soggy swamp when I want to eat it.  I know there are all kinds of fancy bowls and things for salads to go, but quite frankly, they all seem like a lot of trouble.

This looks easy and yummy!

Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad


Mix dressing: Whisk 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil with 1/4 cup orange juice, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp Dijon and 1/8 tsp salt.

Layer it with: Button mushrooms, quinoa, blanched asparagus, roast chicken, chopped tomatoes and chopped peppers. Top with mâche or leaf lettuce. For a vegetarian option, use tofu instead of chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment